Kurt and I are actually alone at a bed and breakfast in the oldest suburb of Cincinnati right now. We planned a getaway this weekend thinking it would be one of the last windows possible before he deployed in January and when that deployment was postponed we kind of said, "Ah, let's still have a getaway---we were both really looking forward to that." So we are spending a cold, rainy few days reading, writing, taking some walks and talking. We'll leave Wednesday to drive 9 hours to Clark and Dawna's in North Carolina for Thanksgiving. All our kids are really looking forward to that.
Winter sports are under way. I constantly ask myself if I'm doing too much with the kids. It is a matter of prayer and contemplation to decide which activities will be beneficial and when to say, "no way, that will destroy our family life." Miranda is participating in the high school swim team and Caleb was so excited to make the middle school basketball team (75 boys trying out for 24 slots.) Josh will play intramural basketball and Aedan will play on a rec basketball team.
I am already complaining about the cold--it snowed three days last week--and remembering fondly warmer San Diego weather. Maybe it just makes Mid-westerners more resilient and able to look in the face of adversity with more confidence. I have to say the thing I love most so far about Ohio is the wonderful people here. Not to say there haven't been wonderful people everywhere we lived. Somehow they just seem to be in greater abundance here and I'm really enjoying my association with them.
I was called to be Primary President this week and have been fasting and praying about counselors. Kurt is currently serving as assistant advisor to the priests which has had a big learning curve for him as he has never before worked with the Young Men. Miranda was called to be an assistant ward organist. We actually just got a free organ off of Craig's List so she could practice a little more at home. She plays every other fast Sunday.
We just had our Stake Conference this last weekend. Miranda was asked to be one of two youth speakers for the Sunday Morning Session. She did a great job and bore powerful testimony. We are so proud of her. Elder Marriott was there and spoke on optimism--something I think we could all use a little more of.
Well, that's probably more than you wanted to read. Love and miss you all! Happy Thanksgiving.
Hugs,
April and Kurt
Monday, November 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment